EU Citizens & Settled Status

13th September 2019

JFL is proud to work with a diverse range of candidates, many of whom are international looking to build their careers in the UK.

With the 31st October 2019 Brexit deadline fast approaching, JFL is looking at how Britain’s leaving the EU might affect our clients and candidates. For EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens currently living and working the UK, their right to remain in the country post-Brexit will now depend on gaining settled or pre-settled status, under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Designed to help citizens and their families obtain UK immigration status for when the UK leaves the EU, the scheme is a free, digital application and you will need to apply if you are: an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen (even if you have a family member who is a British citizen); not an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen but your family member is; or were born in the UK but are not a British citizen.

The current deadline for applying to the scheme is 30th June 2021, however if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, this will be brought forward to 31st December 2020. The Home Office have reassured citizens and their families that their entitlements to work, benefits, and services in the UK will continue after 31st October, despite reports that free movement will end if/when the UK leaves the EU on this date.

Settled status is typically given to those who have resided in the UK for at least 5 years, and pre-settled status to those who have been in the country for a shorter period. To date, over 1.3 million people have applied for the scheme, with 64% granted settled status and 37% pre-settled status.

For our clients and candidates, it is important to note that after the deadline, EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens who do not gain settled or pre-settled status will need a work permit or sponsorship to work in the UK.

If you are looking to hire, or are interested in hearing about new career opportunities, please get in touch:

This blog is for general information purposes only. Please refer to for more detailed information on the scheme and details of how to apply.